Huawei provides a cloud-pipe-device E2E smart airport solution based on innovative ICT technologies. The solution uses cameras, sensors, and mobile terminals to form an airport sensing layer; offers transmission capabilities through multiple channels such as eLTE, Wi-Fi, and agile networks; and establishes cloud-based unified communications, video cloud, IoT, and Big Data platforms to cover an entire airport. In this way, the solution delivers global data sharing and analysis capabilities, helps build an Airport Collaborative Decision-Making (A-CDM) system and Airport Operation Database (AODB), and facilitates visualized operational processes, safety, and services.
The smart airport concept has been widely recognized by the aviation industry in recent years. The application of ICT technologies, such as cloud computing, the Internet of Things (IoT), and Big Data, will empower ICT systems and reconstruct airport information flows. ICT technologies will also significantly benefit the development of smart airports in terms of airport operational safety, efficiency, and passenger- and enterprise-oriented service quality. As the number of airline passengers continues to increase globally, airport operations face many challenges, such as complex safety problems, limited operational resources, and low passenger satisfaction.
- The number of flights is increasing, but the punctuality is decreasing. Generally, ground handling services are performed manually and cannot be monitored in real time. Fully visualized operational processes are urgently needed to control E2E operating status and ensure optimal dispatching of critical resources.
- Airport situations cannot be sensed in real time. It is difficult to optimize security surveillance and resource allocation. Airport operators must work hard to optimize airport asset allocation and operational safety, and accelerate dispatching of key resources.
- The Airport Operations Center (AOC), as the emergency command center, needs a wireless command and dispatch system. Airports urgently need prediction and resource dispatching capabilities to deal with voice, data, and other services during cross-department collaboration.
- Airports are densely populated. Currently, airports’ visualized safety management and control suffer complicated operations and poor results. Traditional video surveillance systems support only fixed-focus recording and lack applications for panoramic surveillance of large surface areas. The captured videos need to be manually pieced together, which is labor intensive and time-consuming, and may omit some surveillance areas or fail to identify some video images.
- Passenger experience is the key concern of airports. It has a direct impact on non-aeronautical revenues. To build a smart airport, continuous efforts must be made to provide an E2E, convenient, and pleasant travel experience for passengers throughout their visit: arrival to the airport, check-in, security check, waiting, transfer, and baggage claim.
Airport Visualized Operational Processes
- Huawei provides an airport visualized operational processes solution based on eLTE technologies and Huawei’s Integrated Communication Platform (ICP). A single LTE network offers professional broadband trunking, data collection, and video transmission services. The ICP integrates multiple communication methods such as trunking, video conferencing, and telephone. The solution facilitates unified dispatch and command of various roles and departments, significantly transforming ground services and improving work efficiency.
Airport Visualized Safety
- Huawei provides an airport video cloud platform for visualized safety management through video surveillance at airfields, terminal buildings, and public areas. 4K high-definition box cameras and large-zoom-ratio high-speed dome cameras are deployed at airfields to implement full coverage and panoramic video stitching. In addition to the panoramic view, intelligent functions such as one-click focus on selected areas, linkage between panoramic and close-range images, and aircraft tracking are provided to improve airfield surveillance. In terminal buildings and public areas, intelligent video analysis and recognition technologies help implement a wide variety of functions such as passenger behavior analysis, moving object detection, loitering detection, abandoned object detection/object removal detection, passenger density analysis, passenger flow analysis, and passenger number statistics. The intelligent video analysis contributes to effective early warning, incident analysis and handling, and post-incident evidence collection and investigation.
Airport Visualized Services
- Huawei’s Airport Visualized Services Solution leverages technologies such as the IoT, Big Data analytics, high-density Wi-Fi, and biometric recognition, ensuring an optimal experience for passengers. Facial recognition provided by intelligent video surveillance can speed up the security check and boarding processes. The IoT technologies enable passengers to view the status and location of their baggage throughout the entire process, including baggage check-in, transportation, and collection, helping to reduce the possibility of lost baggage. The Wi-Fi indoor location technology can help airport operators quickly calculate passenger traffic and open or close the security check channels accordingly to improve efficiency. In addition, to improve the passenger experience at airports, the high-density Wi-Fi within airport terminals enables passengers to use free Wi-Fi for entertainment and communication while they wait to board their aircraft.