UTOPIA is an adaptive traffic control system designed to optimise flows and give selective priority to public transport without sacrificing travel times for private traffic.
UTOPIA Urban Traffic Control System offers a wide range of strategies designed to suit any road network. In the fully adaptive mode, it constantly monitors and forecasts the traffic status and optimises the control strategy according to flow efficiency and/or environmental criteria. This gives high performance even with unpredictable traffic conditions.
The system can assign weighted, selective or absolute priority to specific vehicles (e.g. buses/trams running behind schedule) without penalising other traffic.
UTOPIA was developed during the 1980s. Constant innovation and enhancements have made it one of the most advanced Urban Traffic Control systems in the world. It is successfully operating in dozens of metropolitan areas today.
UTOPIA offers unmatched performance, especially in congested and unpredictable traffic conditions. Field trails have demonstrated the following benefits:
- 15% decrease in travel times for private traffic
- 50% reduction in queuing time
- 10% decrease in emissions and fuel consumption in urban areas.
A range of strategies are available: from plan selection to traffic responsive and fully adaptive, to permit the ideal solution for each specific site.
UTOPIA is an Urban Traffic Control System including following special features and benefits:
- real-time optimization of traffic signals
- absolute or selective priority for public transport
- fully adaptive control, plan selection, traffic responsive and traffic actuated strategies
unmatched performance proven in independent trials:
- time savings for private cars > 15%
- reduction in queuing time > 50%
- increase of commercial speed for public transport > 20%
- hierarchical and decentralized architecture
- modular, scalable and fully integrated with OMNIA
- can be interfaced to a large variety of traffic light controllers
- supports the Traffic Manager by offering a full set of tools for real time traffic monitoring and incident identification. Also generates statistical reports
- automatically generates statistical reports
- immediately warns of malfunctioning, enabling rapid intervention for maintenance
- able to interface with other systems to supply data for information services, and also deal with priority requests for special vehicles (e.g. ambulances, fire engines)